The Azcapotzalco Centro was long an important ceremonial site for the Tepaneca people. These were the historical enemies of the Mexica of Tenochtitlan only finally defeated with the formation of the Triple Alliance in 1428.
Under Dominican domination already from the mid-16th century, the church cathedral would see the final armed conflict of the Independence War in August 1821.
Today, the administrative headquarters of the local government have moved a bit to the north. The resulting center is a City Park and commercial neighborhood. It's normally teeming with shoppers, strollers, and those on their way to something else.