The Pueblo de Aculco is sometimes called Santa María Aculco for the churches (pictured). During the ancient period, Aculco was an island, as was the neighboring town of Atlazolpa. These are plainly visible in the recreated ancient map, here. According to legend, it may have been the site where the Mexica people sought refuge upon being expelled from Chapultepec in 1299.
Today the ancient chapel of Aculco is visited as one of the 15 Original Villages of Iztapalapa. The chapel dates from the 16th century, although it has been modified numerous times. One of the bells hanging from the open belfry is marked “1798.”
The graveyard is one of the most famous in Iztapalapa due to its great age. In fact, it was still interring the deceased in the mid-20th century. Notable art works include one of the stations of the cross, Jesus’s meeting with the Virgin Mary, and a cane paste of the Virgin of the Rosary. It likely dates from the 17th century.
The newer Church of the Assumption dates only from the year 2000. It rather obviously speaks to the community’s forward thinking. It also seriously augmented the tiny chapel’s capacity.
The community kiosk is directly across the street on grounds that were likely part of an older larger atrium. Today it’s the grounds of the fabulously circular Mercado Aculco. Both are easily reachable via the Metro station of the same name.