The Mexican Cavalry Museum (Museo de Caballeria) is one of a number of Mexico City museums operated by the Mexican Military. This one is on the site of the former National Teachers College.
That institution operated training teachers, beginning in 1910 when it opened. The Revolution saw it increasingly used for Military training. With the end of the Revolutionary period, the Teachers college closed and the facilities were converted completely to serving the needs of the Military for training officers. The riding school, opened in the 1920s, had been on the grounds of the historica Nuestra Señora de la Merced de las Huertas Church.
The French-inspired building architectural style, a very common style during the Porfiriato period. The school had been inaugurated in 1910. In 1920, it became The Military College and the facilities were adapted to these needs including the Cavalry riding school, where the museum is today. It served as the Colegio Militar from 1926 to 1976 when the new facilities opened in Tlalpan. The Calvary Museum opened in April, 2006.
The museum is just one of those operated by the military. The school also occupied the Bethlemitas site in the city center, which is also an Army and Air Force Museum. The Cavalry Museum collection includes military items and paintings from the periods of the Spanish conquest through to today. Historic weapons, riding equipment, and portraits of famous generals, including some of Ignacio Allende, Juan Aldama, Mariano Escobedo, Porfirio Diaz, Francisco Villa, and Emiliano Zapata are all here.
Six large galleries feature the following historical time periods:
• Spanish Conquest
• Independence War
• The Reform War
• The French intervention and 2nd empire
• Porfirio Diaz and the Mexican Revolution
• Today’s Cavalry
Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sundays and holidays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Guests can arrive from either Metro Colegio Militar or from Metro Popotla.