The conquerors built the cathedral and palaces on top of Aztec temples and buildings. But the Zocalo remained the great hub of the city. Merchants were located on the west side of the Zócalo. In 1527 construction began on the Portal de Mercaderes and in 1532 Gonzalo Ruiz took possession to set up fabric shops. The facade has touches of French architecture and is made of tezontle, the same material that was used in the pyramids. It is now the property of the Asamblea Legislativa, there are offices for local representatives and the ground floor houses a jewelry center.
Plaza de la Constitución s/n, Col. Centro.