The Palace of the Marqués del Apartado is the ten-year (1795-1805) work of Manuel Tolsá. One of the greatest of late 18th century works, today it faces the Templo Mayor site which was uncovered beginning only in the 1980s. At the corner of Calle de Donceles and República de Argentina, it’s one of the least-known of Tolsá’s works, and probably one of the least known of its age.
A work of strident Neo-Classicism, the building has two facades on its respective streets, and three levels. Both facades are clad in quarried gray stone.
The Marquis of the Apartado was a title granted by the King of Spain to the descendants of Francisco Manuel Cayetano de Fagoaga y Arozqueta. The Apartado was in fact a proto-industrial organization dedicated to the extraction of gold and silver. Cayetano ran the Apartado for most of the 18th century, until 1778. In the 19th-century, the building served as the residence of several other wealthy families, while the Apartado was folded into the Casa de Moneda in 1848. At the end of the 19th century, it was taken over by the government and was used as headquarters of the Ministry of Justice and Public Instruction.
In 2005, the building fell under the control of the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH). It’s also they’re headquarters. This is fortunate as some archaeological remains related to the Templo Mayor site have been found in and under the building. An unforgettable Cuauhxicalli (altar-piece) Eagle was discovered there in 1985 and is today in the INAH collection.