Metro Guerrero is an important transfer station between Line 3 that runs north south through most of the city, and Line B, which arrives here from Ecatepec, northeast of the City in Mexico State.
The station name is for the Colonia Guerrero, up above, which was named during the Porfiriato in honor of Vicente Guerrero, the Independence War hero. At the end of the 19th century, it was quite an important neighborhood. It still retains many examples of Porfiriato-era mansions and what were suburban homes at the time.
After a long period of decline, the neighborhood is at last experiencing something of a renaissance. It’s still best known for the competing dance halls that kept the neighborhood moving through most of the 20th century.
The station opened way back in 1970 on Line 3. And service on Line B began in 1999. Art in the station includes several important mosaic murals honoring Guerrero the warrior. The stairwells and some passageways leading to the B Line platforms also feature enormous mural tributes to Lucha Libre – Mexican Wrestling.
Station exits are convenient to the Saturday el Chopo market. That takes place in the street running right next to the Vasconcelos Library. Strolling south along the Calle Heroes one can also easily arrive at the Casa Rivas Mercado house museum.
The neighborhood of Guerrero took its name during a period when Mexican President Porfiro Díaz was consolidating control of the country at the end of the 19th century.
Born in 1782, the General, Vicente Guerrero came from Tixtla in the state whose name was also later changed in his honor. Guerrero secured important victories during the struggle with the Spanish. The alarm among the Spanish led to appeals by the Viceroy of New Spain trying to convince Guerrero to abandon the struggle. Guerrero’s famous reply was “The Homeland Comes First.” He served as President of newly Independent Mexico briefly in 1828, but lost power in a coup that same year. He retired to the south but was assassinated in Oaxaca in 1831. The state of Guerrero was renamed in his honor just two years later.
Phone: 5627.4950 / 5627.4741
Zarco, Guerrero, Cuauhtémoc, 06300 CDMX