Built in 1595 by the Franciscans, the Parish Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán was passed to Dominican control already by 1608. Notably, the church’s website hosts a remarkably beautiful gallery.
Arguably the center of the Mixcoac neighborhood, today it’s the backdrop to an equally beautiful park. The church is also prized for its private nature, and for the beauty of the choir. There are some limited tours of the facilities available at least on an irregular basis although these are said to be exclusively in Spanish. The former monastary and church building mostly date to 1648. The golden baroque altarpieces that strike most visitors are inside in the Chapel of Our Lady of Rayos.
Saint Dominic lived from 8 August 1170 until 6 August 1221. A Castilian priest, he was the founder of the Dominican Order and is remembered today as the patron saint of astronomers. The Dominicans are still known today as the Order of Preachers, Ordinis Praedicatorum, and Dominic’s intention was to meet a need for more and better informed preaching, after the long period of monastic orders associated today with the middle ages. In contrast, the Dominicans have been traditionally trained to preach in vernacular languages.
The former church atrium, today it’s almost indistinguishable from the Plaza Jáuregui just across the street. The concave Wall of Peace is along Augustino Rodin street just across from the street grounds.
The Parish Church of Santo Domingo de Guzmán celebrates the feast of Santo Domingo on August 8 of each year. But most of the time, it’s one of the most peaceful places in the Insurgentes Mixcoac neighborhood.