The Parque Lincoln in Polanco is one of the City’s most pristine and manicured parks. Perhaps the poshest part of Polanco, it’s surprisingly accessible, and frankly, quite a big park.
The first park designed just for the neighborhood, it’s surrounded by homes and apartment buildings, but lends a great deal to the area’s sense of openness. It was opened in 1938 by President Lazaro Cardenas. At the time it was called both Parque de Polanco, and Parque del Palomar for its aviary. The great clock tower lends its image to the Metro Polanco station just a few blocks away. The park also hosts the Angela Peralta open-air theater, and a few small aviaries. It’s best known for the two reflection pools in the center of the park. These are frequently used for model ship races and flotillas. Some can even be rented. The playground is easily the biggest in the area.
The park is named for Abraham Lincoln who very famously opposed the US Invasion of Mexico between 1846 and 1848. Statues of both Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King stand in the park. The Lincoln statue was the gift of President Lyndon Johnson in 1966. The park’s name was changed to Parque Lincoln shortly thereafter.
For international guests, the Parque Lincoln is an important landmark. It’s also a very convenient place to meet, on a walk back from Chapultepec Park, or when arriving simply to enjoy the surrounding shops and sidewalk cafes.
Sources cited on the page:
El Universal/Consuelo Juárez:
El parque con el nombre de un presidente estadounidesnse
Price: Free admission
Av. Emilio Castelar 163, Polanco, Polanco III Secc, Miguel Hidalgo, 11560 CDMX