The San Francisco Convent currently houses the Silvestre Moreno Cora Central Library and the seat of the Supreme Court of Justice.The convent was founded in 1524 by the order of the Franciscans, the first religious order who came to New Spain. Previously it had been emperor Moctezuma II's zoo.
The convent originally occupied the streets of Eje Central, Madero, Gante y Venustiano Carranza but with the Reform Laws, the convent was expropriated. Later the Mexico City mayor made the unfortunate decision to tear down some walls to open the calle 16 de septiembre. Despite these losses, its walls preserve allusions to San Francisco de Asis and the churrigueresque facade was recently remodeled.
16 de Septiembre #38, Col. Centro.