The Santa Crucita Chapel is part of the Parish of San Bernardino. The adventurous can venture just a few steps beyond the main cathedral to the Calle Violeta where the chapel occupies a corner with the Calle Madero. Very near the entrance to the Embarcadero Salitre, the dates to 1687. It’s got all of the crooked charm and intrigue one could hope for in a small 17th-century chapel.
Heavily restored in about 1860, the choir window stands out for its sinuous Baroque framing, although restorers had obviously been look much more closely at the Neo-classical buildings much more prominent in their own time.
Inside, an 18th-century Holy Burial (Santo Entierro) is of particular note for the original wood carving. The Ecce Homo sculpture, Christ as a prisoner, is said to be one of the most dramatic figures in Xochimilco for the ribs and natural teeth. This work is also from the 18th century. A Christ tied to the column, also with teeth and natural hair, and another on the main altar, known as “el güerito”, are both made from cane paste.
Next to the Santa Crucita Chapel, a small public square is the traditional center of Santa Cruz Analco. More commonly known as the Barrio Santa Crucita, Analco is one of Xochimilco’s 17 Barrios Originarios, that is, one of the oldest of pre-Hispanic settlements. Similar to the Pueblos Originarios, they’re recognized by the City as some of the oldest and most important.
Esq. con Madero, Calle Violeta S/N, San Cristóbal, Xochimilco, 16080 CDMX